Nathan Penney

Reg. #80
Name: Nathan Goff Penney
Date of Birth: Nov 28, 1920
Location at Birth: St. John's, Newfoundland
Status: Deceased
Date of Passing: May 28, 2012
Location at Passing:


PENNEY, Nathan Goff - Passed peacefully away on Monday, May 28, 2012 at the age of 91 years and 6 months to the day, Nathan G. Penney of Masonic Park, Mount Pearl. Nathan lived a full and interesting life. Born in St. John's, he lived in West Virginia as a child, and attended Prince of Wales College in St. John's and Millfield School in Somerset, England. After attending GM Tech in Michigan on a scholarship, he returned to St. John's where he became a Newfoundland Ranger, regimental number 80, and served his five year contract in communities all over the island and in Labrador, earning an honourable discharge and freeing him to marry his wife of 53 years, Grace, who predeceased him 1999. Nathan carried on his life-long career of communicating by working at VOCM radio and then joined his father in the family business, which he continued with Grace for over forty years. Nathan was a joiner and a communicator. He was a member of the Boy Scouts and the Masonic Fraternity, being a Past Master of Lodge Tasker #454, and a member of many other Masonic bodies, in particular the Shrine. He was also a board member of the Consumer Co-op Societies in St. John's and in Clarenville. Nate VO1NP was deeply involved in Amateur Radio, holding executive positions in the Canadian Amateur Radio Federation and he was a past president and life-time member of the Society of Newfoundland Radio Amateurs. In Rotary International, he was a Paul Harris Fellow. Nathan was an alumnus of Memorial University of Newfoundland and he believed strongly in the value of education. He was a donor to and a supporter of the Faculty of Medicine and also the Faculty of Engineering. A Memorial Service will be held to celebrate the life of Nathan G. Penney on Friday, June 1, at 1:30 pm at the Masonic Park Chapel in Mount Pearl. No flowers by request, but if you choose you can make a donation to a charity of your choice in remembrance of Nathan. Daughter Mavis, son Frank and grandsons Ian and Andrew invite all to the memorial service, and to the reception that will follow at the Masonic Park Community Centre. To sign the online memorial guest book, please visit

Ranger Force Career

Regimental Number: 80
Date Enlisted: May 1, 1941
Date Discharged: May 31, 1946
Length of Service: 5 years 1 month

Posting History

Detachment Start Date End Date
Kilbride Headquarters Sep 1942 Jan 28, 1943
Stephenville Crossing Detachment Jan 28, 1943 Sep 8, 1943
Fortune Detachment Sep 9, 1943 Apr 1944
Grand Bank Detachment Apr 1944
Twillingate Detachment Sep 1942

Rank History

No items found

Beyond the Ranger Force

Occupation History

Frank Penney Trading Company, pre-Ranger Force and post-Ranger Force.
VOCM Radio, post-Ranger Force.

From the Library

Photo - Unveiling Ranger Force Plaque at Colonial Building
Date Published 1980
Attribution McGrath, Darrin Michael, ed. The Newfoundland Rangers. St. John’s, N.L: DRC Publishers, 2005.
Certificate of Discharge, Penney, Nathan
Author Martin, E.L.
Date Published May. 31, 1946
Attribution The Rooms Provincial Archives, MG 621, Box 20, File 1E
Newfoundland Rangers removing the cornerstone from Whitbourne barracks for transportation to St. John's
Date Published 1942
Attribution The Rooms Provincial Archives, MG 612, Series VA 126-128 VA 128-21.1

Identified: Nathan Penney (Regt. #80); Ewart Peckford (Regt. #44); Ambrose Hutchings and Edward Delaney (Regt. #16). Inscription on foundation stone reads: "Rangers Barracks foundation stone laid by Sir Murray Anderson KCB KCMG MVO Governor Sept. 28th. 1935". Ambrose Hutchings was the caretaker at the Whitbourne Ranger headquarters.

Newfoundland Ranger Nathan Penney (Regt. #80), St. Anthony
Date Published 1945
Attribution The Rooms Provincial Archives, MG 612, Series VA 126-128 VA 127-55.1

Wearing winter uniform.

Newfoundland Ranger Nathan Penney (Regt. #80) with Edward L. Martin's (Regt. #10) dog Atamush
Date Published 1941
Attribution The Rooms Provincial Archives, MG 612, Series VA 126-128 VA 127-53.1